Question/Prompt: Developmental psychologists agree that self-esteem in middle childhood tends to decrease. This is unfortunate as self-efficacy (the belief that one has the ability to succeed) is recognized as a strong predictor of success in many areas of life such as academics and athletics (Artino, 2012).
The article in the Reading & Study for this module/week (The Development of Children Ages 6 to 14 By Jacquelynne S. Eccles) contain information to help understand why self-esteem decreases, and what parents and other supportive adults can do to help children maintain a strong sense of confidence in their ability to succeed.
Create a thread of 600 words. In your thread,
1. Talk about ideas presented in the Reading & Study articles that explain why self-esteem often decreases during middle childhood (write this in your own words, but be sure to cite your source using APA guidelines).
2. Illustrate this fact with a real-life scenario (this can be something you experienced or observed).
3. Tell how a concerned adult might help a child successfully navigate this situation, using information from one of the articles to support your ideas (again, write this in your own words, and be sure to cite your source using APA guidelines).
4. Note that your thread must cite at least one item of information from each of the article provided.
The Development of Children Ages 6 to 14
By Jacquelynne S. Eccles
Article Access: http://liberty.summon.serialssolutions.com/#!/search?bookMark=ePnHCXMwdV29DsIgECbGxGp9BkPUwaUJLbSlo2k0PoDOhFLqWJP2_eN3_Uk66MLC5Q4OwsfB_ezYGnarX1Ga0lREaPSaPhxTRRHLRTC_8ANq8w0LYJEoXMGzLbtAL3zhKcPbhpdTQDO_vn3HM963PFZ7SIB5FrLX_fYsH9FUNCDylP0rapzX1osqTjJsZS9yALDLNXDXq8ppi_FYJ63wqi6aGmhXpc7GrkgLm2iBrpAdR77z0WymVe0MsJQycEmqsHWYiAbUMp8xNYSZp_ODi63o7cL1nQGCStILiE5_iZayziPV4C-5EGXIidvEGSxLIeUX2dFoyw
Citation: (Eccles, 1999).
Eccles, J. S. (1999). The development of children ages 6 to 14. The Future of Children, 9(2), 30–44. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1602703
To cite Scripture:
• Use this format in your text: (John 3:16, New International Version)
• APA guidelines indicate that classic works of literature (such as the Bible) should be cited in your text, but NOT listed in your references.
Middle childhood is one of the most critical stages linking childhood to adolescent. Just before this stage, the children will always be in the active mode as they are competent, self-aware and also xxx as they try to cut their own xxx in life (Eccles, 1999). The early adolescent stage is however littered with many challenges that reduces their self-esteem.
One of the reasons as to why the early adolescents start to have low self-esteem is the changes in the physical appearance as well as the many social changes that come with xxx stage. For the girls, they start developing bigger breasts which makes them shy off from the public. There is also a possibility of changes in facial expression as they start developing rushes or pimples which makes them feel they are not as beautiful as they have been before (Eccles, 1999). This eventually lowers their self-confidence.
The desire to have autonomy as well as the change from elementary to middle or junior school also results in problems among the young people. When such adolescents are within the school, home or community setting which may not be adhere to what they need or their desire to be independent, they may end up losing self-confidence and start engaging in bad behavior.
Real Life Scenario My brother had very difficult moments dealing with early adolescence. After he broke the voice, he always felt a man and even started disrespecting others, especially my mother. Whenever he was corrected for a mistake done, he felt…