Assignment 1: Research Topics with Explanation
Due Week 2 and worth 100 points
Topic 1- should sex offender’s registration laws be changed?
Topic 2- should unemployment regulations and benefits be changed?
Topic 3- should children of parents who do not allow then to be vaccinated be allowed to attend public school?
Identify two (2) credible sources for each topic. Note: This is one (1) of several parts that will build toward a final draft of your persuasive writing research paper.
Write a one to two (1-2) page paper in which you:
- Explain the reason for selecting topic one (1), identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
- Explain the reason for selecting topic two (2), identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
- Explain the reason for selecting topic three (3), identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
- Identify and document six (6) credible sources (two (2) for each topic) that you would expect to use. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting guidelines:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recognize the elements and correct use of a thesis statement.
- Associate the features of audience, purpose, and text with various genres.
- Recognize correct APA documentation and reasons to document and avoid plagiarism.
- Write clearly and concisely about selected topics using proper writing mechanics.
Use technology and information resources to research selected issues for this course.
Rationale, Audience and Preliminary Thesis Statement
Should sex offender’s registration regulations be changed?
A couple of reasons justify the selection of this research topic. First, the question of whether sex offender’s registration laws should be changed is highly controversial. Supporters of the registration activity assert that sex offender’s laws depict public concern that vulnerable groups such as children are at grave threat of sexual abuse by total strangers who are repeat offenders. As such, the advocates of the registration feel that the existing measures are helpful in controlling abuse (Vesset al. 216). The opponents, on the other hand, assert that trusted authority figures or family members, who are hardly convicted of similar offences in the past, commit most cases of sex offences. Therefore, critics claim that changing the registration law is the only way to ensure that the law does not only target sexual abuse threat posed by strangers but also the threat posed by relatives and trusted authority figures (Gaines 259). The audience of this topic of discussion includes the human rights agencies, educationists, parents, and lawmakers. Other important stakeholders include lawyers involved in the interpretation of sex-relatedmatters and family law. Although the current laws regarding the registration of sex offenders have been beneficial, changing it might yield better results.
Topic 2: Should unemployment laws and benefits be changed? Selection of this topic is based on the different views given by different stakeholders regarding the issue of restructuring unemployment and benefits. While some stakeholders believe that the unemployment policies are okay, others feel that change is necessary for efficiency purposes (McLavertyet al. 29) On the same note, some stakeholders feel that the benefitsaspect of the unemployment regulation are unfavorable and hence call for change in policy (Masur and Eric 604). The audience of this discussion includes the general public, lawmakers, and trade unions. Private and public employers are also key stakeholders. Overall, the relevant authorities have made improvements in ensuring that unemployment…