McGregor developed the Theory Y and Theory X. These define how managers view their employees. This was not covered in the lesson. Do your own research about McGregor’s theory and answer the following questions:
WE WRITE PAPERS FOR STUDENTS
Tell us about your assignment and we will find the best writer for your project.Write My Essay For Me
1. Contrast McGregor’s Theory X and Theory Y assumptions about people.
Social psychologist Douglas McGregor came up with Theory X and Theory Y concept which describes two contrasting sets of assumptions that managers make about their employees:
- Theory X – Human beings dislike work, are unwilling to take responsibility and have little ambition. Managers with this assumption motivate their employees using a rigid “carrot and stick” method, which rewards excellent performance and punishes poor performance.
- Theory Y – Human beings are self-motivated and tend to enjoy the challenge of work. Managers/leaders with this assumption have a more collaborative relationship with their juniors, and motivate them by allowing them to work on their own initiative, giving them responsibility, and empowering them to make decisions.
2. What types of managers have you dealt with in your organization?
3. Assess why there is a predominance of Theory X or Theory Y managers in your organization or industry?
Identify the consequences of having dissatisfied employees and describe ways of applying the four theories of job satisfaction and how you would use them to boost job satisfaction. Discuss how intrinsic and extrinsic motivation factors affect job satisfaction.
When answering consider how goals may help with job satisfaction and how to design jobs to enhance motivation.